Go down
View user profile

default Stafford

on 24/3/2018, 23:04
Well they weren't half a big, physical, grumpy, moaning bunch weren't they?
First half was pretty (read very) dire. We did much better in the second half & probably should've won the game. How the young lad missed that chance to make it 2-0 & finish the game would take some explaining.
What also takes some explaining is why we refuse to be more positive!
I'm not of the "Brown out" brigade by any means, but I would like to see us play in a more attacking manner. Thought that Simpson should've been subbed 15-20 minutes earlier too as he looked spent, CC had his best game in a while
View user profile

default Re: Stafford

on 25/3/2018, 08:00
Revenge is sweet I suppose...well for them after what we did at their place. First half was the usual sub standard stuff but we definitely went for it and improved in the second period. That was a bit like the Craig Carney we all know and I also thought Josh Gregory looked impressive alongside him. From where I was stood, Connor Simpson was trying to be too casual in just flicking the ball in, instead of absolutely blasting it. The linesman had his flag up, whether that was for an offside or for a goal-kick after the event I don't know but it doesn't hide the fact it was an embarrassing miss for the lad. Overall he didn't look any better than Djabi but he did win a few headers and flick-ons with nobody up there with him to benefit. {won't go into that two up top thing again for sake of boring myself} Something to build on for the Cup semi, though we'll be without the three Chorley connection players {I think} to start with. It's a semi final, a one-off game so let's just go for it.
View user profile

on 25/3/2018, 08:04
Agreed Steve, much improved second half and let's not also forget their keeper made two good saves - the instinctive reaction stop from the close range effort was outstanding, but once Connor had missed that chance it felt written in the stars that they would get at least a draw and sure enough - indeed they could have won it in that last five minutes or so with Elliott Wynne making an equally brilliant save to tip the header onto the crossbar and away.
Agree also re Craig Carney, he was deserving man of the match. Brining Hannu on with two minutes of stoppage time remaining appeared a curious one.
Must admit I was a little surprised to read in the programme that we are one of the higher scorers in the division although I suppose also worth reflecting that 17 of those goals came across the four matches v Whitby and Coalville.
Wandering slightly off track but prompted by us playing a Midlands team, had a quick look at how many of our points thus far have come against teams we can expect to depart this division for the Midlands equivalent next season, and by my reckoning it's 21 (6 v Coalville, 4 v Mickleover, 3 v Sutton Coldfield, Halesowen, 2 v Stafford and 1 v Hednesford, Barwell, Stourbridge). With the likes of South Shields, Scarborough etc to come next year and a reversion to the usual state of affairs for promotion and relegation this division is going to be a step up again in quality I suspect - not that I intended to become the first doom-monger for 2018/19!
View user profile

on 25/3/2018, 12:12
Sparrow

Wasn't there yesterday seems tad harsh comments on Simpson given he's only 17 won't have played at this level before give him a chance after all a spell at City did Josh Earl no harm
View user profile

on 25/3/2018, 18:20
Can only say what I saw. Hope he does well. He is obviously a talent or PNE wouldn't have signed him. If he is a success then i'll be delighted for him and the club. One has to remember though that this is a tough, man's league and bringing in youth players from all over doesn't always work. I thought we had a reserve side for that anyway or has that been moved to Myerscough ?
View user profile

on 25/3/2018, 20:55
I don't think the criticism is particularly over the top. The lad himself will know what a bad miss it was, you (or even I!) would've scored from that distance in front of an open goal 99 times out of 100. I agree with Spadge that this is a tough,physical league & a young man is likely to struggle with the physical aspect. Josh Earl seemed to enjoy this aspect, & that's what stood him apart. Saturday will have been an eye-opener for Connor, hopefully he will have learned from it. Stafford were an exceptionally big (in some cases bordering on rotund) side, so it will have been a really tough first game. Obviously I hope that he does well, standing both Connor himself & our ongoing relationship with PNE loanees in good stead for the future
View user profile

on 26/3/2018, 11:51
Rotund OUCH!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user profile

on 26/3/2018, 19:58
themaclad wrote:Rotund OUCH!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I couldn't spell fat! Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum