View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Barrow

Post by LFC-LCFC on 30/7/2013, 22:51

...are shite. Discuss.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Barrow

Post by alasher on 31/7/2013, 08:20

tbh I'm more interested in how well (or not) we played! Anyone got any comments on that? Pesky work!!
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarefulWithThatAxe on 31/7/2013, 08:35

We played well throughout the team. Everybody appeared to know their role and stuck to it - a great contrast to the shapeless displays we saw last season. The boss clearly likes to play with width and it worked well, with Henry, Akrigg and often Liley on the right and Elderton and MacKenna on the left. In the second half the central midfield was being bossed by Jackson as well as Mahoney. An excellent goal and we were a bit unlucky not to have more. Barrow too had their chances, especially early on, but MacDonald and Marshall held firm at the back. They did make it easier for us by making six changes at half-time, nine altogether, while we only made one substitution and that only with a few minutes left - surely very unusual for a friendly, but I think DP didn't want to risk losing the shape and cohesion of what looks like a very good team. Playing like that we should win a lot of games this season. I've already mentioned nine players, but the other two impressed as well - Clark looked solid at the back, and Wills seemed to be everywhere on the pitch - the one player who seemed to have a free roving role, which he threw himself into with his usual passion. Excellent.

CarefulWithThatAxe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 31/7/2013, 13:51

After the first 10-15 minutes when they had us under a bit of pressure, I thought overall it was a terrific performance. Hopefully not wanting to tempt fate but these is the best pre-season displays I've seen for a long time. The midfield looks far better with Mahoney in there and Hunter to come back, though Simon Wills was superb last night. Rob Henry was excellent as well and we have experience all over the park now. I have to say over the last two games, though he probably won't stay there, Gav Clark has excelled at CB. But it's just not about the individuals but the way we are playing that gives me hope. One touch stuff from defence to attack. Joy to watch - so far ! Hopefully word can get round that we are playing entertaining stuff and more and more will come down and take a look. That old saying of 'It's alright pre-season, do it when it matters' comes to mind though.

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cityuntilidie on 31/7/2013, 19:25

After the last 2 games if we are playing only 2 in the middle I think it is Simon Wills and either Mahoney or Hunter. Unless he is going to play all 3. The back 4 looks solid and Gavin Clark has played really well the last 2 games. So far it is looking good for the season.

cityuntilidie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 31/7/2013, 22:18

At the back end of last season Gavin Clark played as a fill-in left back against a poor Garforth side and had a nightmare. Good to hear he is slotting in well in the middle of the defence.

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollyTillIDie on 31/7/2013, 23:09

Shrimpsmakemeill wrote:At the back end of last season Gavin Clark played as a fill-in left back against a poor Garforth side and had a nightmare. Good to hear he is slotting in well in the middle of the defence.

Very vulnerable position is full back, easily caught out if you're not fully up to it. He isn't effective as a winger either, quite clearly a central player.

DollyTillIDie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janb on 1/8/2013, 18:11

cityuntilidie wrote:After the last 2 games if we are playing only 2 in the middle I think it is Simon Wills and either Mahoney or Hunter.

Think thats an overreaction. Its natural that a player of Wills style (the proverbial 110%er) will look better in pre-season than he does during the season given that not everyone else will be as fired up/prepared. Mahoney and Hunter have quality beyond just being able to run around.

View user profile http://twitter.com/janlbuxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum