Darlington off??

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: Darlington off??

Post by Tobycarvery on 1/12/2014, 08:55

Excuse my ignorance, but can a club call off a game without a pitch inspection? Was there an inspection on Saturday? If a ref called it off I don't suppose there's a lot we can do about it.

Tobycarvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 1/12/2014, 09:23

Tobycarvery wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but can a club call off a game without a pitch inspection? Was there an inspection on Saturday? If a ref called it off I don't suppose there's a lot we can do about it.
My own thought was that it has to be called off by a referee, not the match referee who may have too far to travel, but a "local" referee. Maybe he was so "local" he was a Darlington supporter Twisted Evil

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 1/12/2014, 12:41

I believe that the form is that "a" ref......I would imagine a local one....... can inspect the pitch & call the game off. I'm also confident that there will be a "relationship" between every club at our level & the local ref's society. If one club or another wishes to/can abuse this then I would imagine that will happen from time to time.
I seem to remember a game at the Axe in the last few years that was ok'd by a local ref in the morning, only to be called off by the match ref after he had his ear bent by the away side's manager, who followed him all round the pitch pointing out "problem areas", which didnt seem to exist in anyone else's opinion
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollyTillIDie on 1/12/2014, 15:33

LFC-LCFC wrote:Same thing happened a few years ago away at Rossendale United. Me and my dad drove up. Walked around Rossendale for an hour on a very mild Saturday, turned back up at the ground just before 3pm to find is deserted and a man there to tell us the pitch was frozen! It was about 10 degrees by that point.

When we did eventually play them we won 5-2 I believe (the same night as the Garforth v Halifax game).

I'm glad as a club we do everything we can to get every game on, regardless of injuries, suspensions or who we are playing!

Can I be pedantic and say 4-2 Laughing

D.Ward, Connerton (2), Hattersley. Rya-Zico Black scored a 30 yard volley for them.

Back on topic, it may be the case that we are grateful for this postponement come the eventual fixture, considering our respective forms.

DollyTillIDie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brocker on 1/12/2014, 15:38

DollyTillIDie wrote:
LFC-LCFC wrote:Same thing happened a few years ago away at Rossendale United. Me and my dad drove up. Walked around Rossendale for an hour on a very mild Saturday, turned back up at the ground just before 3pm to find is deserted and a man there to tell us the pitch was frozen! It was about 10 degrees by that point.

When we did eventually play them we won 5-2 I believe (the same night as the Garforth v Halifax game).

I'm glad as a club we do everything we can to get every game on, regardless of injuries, suspensions or who we are playing!

Can I be pedantic and say 4-2 Laughing

D.Ward, Connerton (2), Hattersley. Rya-Zico Black scored a 30 yard volley for them.

Back on topic, it may be the case that we are grateful for this postponement come the eventual fixture, considering our respective forms.
I remember it well. I arrived at Dark Lane two minutes before the final whistle. Neutral

Brocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brocker on 1/12/2014, 15:40

alasher wrote:I believe that the form is that "a" ref......I would imagine a local one....... can inspect the pitch  & call the game off. I'm also confident that there will be a "relationship" between every club at our level & the local ref's society. If one club or another wishes to/can abuse this then I would imagine that will happen from time to time.
I seem to remember a game at the Axe in the last few years that was ok'd by a local ref in the morning, only to be called off by the match ref after he had his ear bent by the away side's manager, who followed him all round the pitch pointing out "problem areas", which didnt seem to exist in anyone else's opinion  
Curzon Ashton were the team involved.

Brocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 1/12/2014, 19:09

Brocker wrote:
I remember it well. I arrived at Dark Lane two minutes before the final whistle. Neutral
Well at least you were able to applaud them off the field Smile

As regards it being possibly a good postponement due to our form, well, maybe. On the other hand it's probable now that we'll have to go up there in midweek with an early start from the Giant Axe and the odd player not being able to get off work. Having said that, I believe we won in midweek last season.

I presume we just have to accept the situation now? I don't suppose anything concrete can really be proved: I don't expect the Evo-Stik league will take any complaint seriously when the pitch was declared unfit by a local referee, whatever his standing.

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 2/12/2014, 09:56

Just to back up what Chelseabilly said, I was also in the North East for the weekend and turned up at 1445 with a local friend to find the ground locked up and some 15 to 20 Darlington supporters milling around outside as amazed as us that the game was off. They said that the previous week the game had been played although there was a small area of standing water to one side of the pitch but it had been largely fair all week and they doubted the pitch was unplayable. Just as a final point of interest there was no indication anywhere outside the ground of any Darlington fixture being scheduled for Saturday and neither was there any notice of the game having been called off, it may be that Bishop Auckland had somnething to do with it, the ground being their's, but either way it stank!.

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 3/12/2014, 11:08

Hey Ho, surprise surprise, according to both the Northern League site and Durham City AFC site Bishop Auckland were beaten at home last night by Durham City 2-1, that's 5 home games for them since 8th November, maybe now we know why Saturday's match was off!

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum