Eugene 'Gus' Wilson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Eugene 'Gus' Wilson

Post by DougieHeysham on 24/10/2016, 11:37

Hello, I'm a newly minted Dolly Blue Supporter who re-located to Heysham from Manchester nearly 3 years ago. I used to work at Manchester Grammar School in the late 1980's with a former Lancaster City player named Gus Wilson. I recently checked out Gus's career on Wikipedia and found the only significant mentions of past clubs were Crewe Alexandra, where he spent 3 seasons and Captained the club in the Dario Gradi era, and a lengthy sojourn with Hyde United, for whom he made over 200 appearances.
I'd like to rectify the Lancaster City omission by updating his Wiki Profile to include his record with the club. Can anybody provide this information for me ?
Gus returned to MGS to work in later life and is now a popular football coach with the school's PE Department.

DougieHeysham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Eugene 'Gus' Wilson

Post by chelseabilly on 25/10/2016, 09:53

I rember gus playing for Lancaster but not sure if it was the late 80s or early 90s. I do rember his brother Clive playing for Chelsea in the late 80s even so him score in a 4/3 win over forest, if I rember Clive was not his real name it was something like aklaner

chelseabilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DougieHeysham on 25/10/2016, 13:47

chelseabilly wrote:I rember gus playing for Lancaster but not sure if it was the late 80s or early 90s. I do rember his brother Clive playing for Chelsea in the late 80s even so him score in a 4/3 win over forest, if I rember Clive was not his real name it was something like aklaner

Hello Billy, I'm assuming you have an interest in Chelsea FC so, great win for you guys on Sunday, it cheered me up after the Man City result !
You did well to remember Clive having such an obscure name, and you even got the spelling right. Clive's full name was Euclid Aklana Wilson and he had a long career in the Football League representing Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, QPR and finally Colchester. He's a PE Teacher now covering a handful of academic subjects too, for a Secondary School in Essex.
I'm fairly sure Gus would have joined Lancaster City from Accrington Stanley and this would have been 1990. To the best of my recollection he probably joined Crewe Alex from Lancaster, but whether a fee was involved I'm not certain ?
It does mention The Dolly Blues having a Historian in the programme, but, whether he's likely to read this I don't know ? I'll try and engineer an introduction next time I attend a match.
Cheers.

DougieHeysham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelseabilly on 26/10/2016, 12:32

Yes DougieHeysham for my sins it's always been Lancaster and Chelsea for me. I'm sure our historian will give us all the details on Gus, I thought Gus moved to a Manchester non league club, but there wouldn't have been a fee as I'm sure Gus would of been a non contract player.

chelseabilly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 26/10/2016, 15:30

Hey guys it's the historian here. I've checked what few records I have and it's thank goodness for the programme collection for this one. Gus Wilson arrived at Lancaster from Accrington in July 1990, he made some pre-season match appearances and then played 35 games at either right full back or right half back leaving for Runcorn after the away game at Farsley 12/1/91. His first competitive appearance was the opening game away at Bridlington Town on 18th August and he didn't score any goals during his short stay at the Axe. As I say all this info is from the programmes I haven't got round yet to checking the Lancaster Guardian for 1990/91 and their are no Club records available that I know off - hope this clears things up.

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DougieHeysham on 27/10/2016, 09:57

That's a brilliant outcome thankyou 'Mr. Historian'/Distant Music. I'll endeavour to update Gus's Wiki Profile but, I suppose these challenges are a little like not being able to drag yourself away from a jigsaw puzzle, mention of Accrington and Runcorn has left me hoping somebody involved with those clubs might be able to provide similar feed back ?

DougieHeysham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prestondolly on 27/10/2016, 18:48

DougieHeysham, Gus went & played for Radcliffe Borough after Lancaster.

Prestondolly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 27/10/2016, 21:28

distantmusic wrote:and he didn't score any goals during his short stay at the Axe.
DM, could you check that out again please? I have a note that he scored the second goal in City's 2-0 win at Alfreton Town in September 1990; I actually went to the game, although I'm not remembering it from that, just a written note. For the record, City's other goal was scored by Bevan Blackwood.

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 28/10/2016, 08:37

Hi Guys, there seem to be two points at issue here namely where Gus moved to in January 1991 and his goal scoring exploits for Lancaster. On the first point I took the fact that he went to Runcorn from the Manager's Page in the programme of 26th January 1991 where he writes 'It was a sad day when Gus Wilson joined Runcorn because he was without doubt one of the best players in non-league football'.
On the question of the goal against Alfreton I have to hold my hand up, I took the fact that he didn't score from an end of season summary which didn't include him but on returning to that summary I see it is not complete. I have checked the programmes after the 8/9/90 game and Gus is clearly credited with a goal at Alfreton both in the results section and in the season summaries in other programmes. At some stage I will get round to extracting all the match reports for this period from the Lancaster Guardian but at present I'm limited to what little I have to hand, sorry for the error.

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum