countdown

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default countdown

Post by gaz1889 on 19/2/2017, 10:44

As of today we have 11 games left in the regular season.
We need 34 points to guarantee the league
Impossible, I know.
We're not improving our goal difference by enough.
We need Farsley to drop some points. Where/when is this going to happen?
They have Hyde & Ramsbottom both away coming up & bamber bridge away in a few weeks. Aside from that it's difficult to envisage where they might slip up.
I think we've got a far more tricky run in.

gaz1889

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: countdown

Post by sparrows left peg on 19/2/2017, 12:06

So its the play-offs then !!!!

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1889 on 19/2/2017, 12:13

In a nutshell mate. Yeah.

gaz1889

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 19/2/2017, 12:46

I think that's a bit of a glum way of looking at it Gaz. They have 14 league games & at least 1 cup game to play. I think that will take its toll towards the end of the season. It's a case of who drops fewest points rather it going to goal difference. The pressure will tell on one or the other before the end. I think we may be equipped to cope with it given the experience in our squad. Stay positive
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janinfrance on 19/2/2017, 15:42

I agree, as long as we are winning the pressure is on Farsley, and there are no easy games - I saw the Burscough game at Giant Axe and I didn't think they were a bad side going forward, just shaky in defence. We struggled at Goole and Mossley. Farsley must be due an off day or two, but if not they deserve the title. We are almost sure of the playoffs, the title would be a bonus.

janinfrance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1889 on 19/2/2017, 18:30

[quote="alasher"]I think that's a bit of a glum way of looking at it Gaz. They have 14 league games & at least 1 cup game to play. I think that will take its toll towards the end of the season. It's a case of who drops fewest points rather it going to goal difference. The pressure will tell on one or the other before the end. I think we may be equipped to cope with it given the experience in our squad. Stay positive [/quote

The glum reality maybe?
I shared your outlook that Farsley's games in hand would be their downfall....until I saw their remaining fixtures!
I think 4 of their defeats have been to us & Trafford, which suggests they're not in the habit of dropping points to the "lesser" sides.
Maybe I'm panicking unnecessarily but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if our goal difference was on a par with Farsley's.

gaz1889

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 19/2/2017, 20:23

gaz1889 wrote: but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if our goal difference was on a par with Farsley's.
Yes, the fact of the matter is that if both ourselves and Farsley won every remaining game 1-0 then it would be Celtic who went up automatically. Surely it's not going to be a repeat of 2010, losing out to a Yorkshire club!

I too feel we are almost guaranteed at least a play off place. Clitheroe are currently 6th and are a massive 19 points adrift of us; that means they would have to use up seven of their remaining eleven games just to get to where we are currently. So even if our form dropped off to "moderate", we should still be confident of having at least one more game after 22nd April.

Farsley play their county cup semi final at Bradford PA tomorrow night, so after that we will know whether it's just the 14 league games left for them. As from yesterday there are nine weeks left of the regular season so it's two midweek games for us and would be five for Farsley, so if they do lose at Bradford it's not as if they have two games per week for each remaining week. Also you could argue that if they keep playing - but playing and winning - that's good for their confidence.

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 19/2/2017, 20:43

gaz1889 wrote:
I think 4 of their defeats have been to us & Trafford, which suggests they're not in the habit of dropping points to the "lesser" sides.
Correct, with the other two being against Brighouse and Ossett Town.

Draw wise, they've dropped points against Tadcaster, Ramsbottom, Ossett Albion and Droylsden.

Seasons are always going to be full of "ifs and buts". You wonder now how we couldn't manage to beat Burscough at the start of the season; they only took 3 points out of the first 36 but one of those three was from us. Goole also are down next to bottom yet we didn't play well there and dropped points.  We ourselves have a difficult looking fixture this coming Saturday at Ossett Town whilst Farsley have one that looks a lot easier, home to Prescot. Mind you, it's a funny old game Smile

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 19/2/2017, 20:56

I hope they're not reading this forum or they'll think we're shitting ourselves !!

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobycarvery on 20/2/2017, 08:58

I'd rather be in our position than Farsley's at this stage of the season. Points on the board is more important than games in hand. As I said in a previous post, April will be crucial as we will have a game in hand of Farsley by the end of March. We play six games in April to their five, assuming no postponements in the meantime. If we are still nine points ahead at that stage we are in the box seat. I see they had four players booked on Saturday, so maybe suspensions could come into play.

Tobycarvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum