FA Cup

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: FA Cup

Post by alasher on 17/9/2017, 10:37

Decent win yesterday, although we made hard work of it. It's strange to say after a 4-0 win, but I left the Axe yesterday feeling a little disappointed! We dominated the first portion of the game to such an extent that that two goal lead flattered the visitors in the extreme. We moved the ball very well, shifting their defence, making space & creating chances. Tam really should've doubled our lead single-handedly. As ever in such situations, the Bloods took our failure to finish them off as encouragement & came back into the game, finishing the half the stronger. If their effort just before the break hadn't been ruled out (rightly!) for offside, the game could've taken a much different turn.
We started the second half strongly, but once again failed to make it count. I thought that the replacement of Melle with Rob turned the game in Droylsden's favour. We sat much too deep & invited pressure, leaving Tam isolated & alone. Ryan's two late goals gave the scoreline a somewhat flattering feel.

I suppose that I'm just a whinging twat?
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DollyTillIDie on 17/9/2017, 11:39

alasher wrote:Decent win yesterday, although we made hard work of it. It's strange to say after a 4-0 win, but I left the Axe yesterday feeling a little disappointed! We dominated the first portion of the game to such an extent that that two goal lead flattered the visitors in the extreme. We moved the ball very well, shifting their defence, making space & creating chances. Tam really should've doubled our lead single-handedly. As ever in such situations, the Bloods took our failure to finish them off as encouragement & came back into the game, finishing the half the stronger. If their effort just before the break hadn't been ruled out (rightly!) for offside, the game could've taken a much different turn.
We started the second half strongly, but once again failed to make it count. I thought that the replacement of Melle with Rob turned the game in Droylsden's favour. We sat much too deep & invited pressure, leaving Tam isolated & alone. Ryan's two late goals gave the scoreline a somewhat flattering feel.

I suppose that I'm just a whinging twat?  

I agree with all that. Glad you typed it though.

DollyTillIDie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 17/9/2017, 13:44

You agree that I'm a whinging twat?
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Jimmy on 17/9/2017, 14:14

I thought we were the far better side from start to finish and it could have been much more. What I'm pleased about is how we came back from the defeat at Ashton to convincingly beat a team who beat us twice last term in what was a potential banana skin. The loss at Ashton may have done us a favour as the unbeaten start is now at an end. To go 2-0 up so soon as we did can result in teams taking their foot off the gas and as such it makes the opposition look better than they are and that's what happened yesterday. The only time Droylsden looked threatening is when we sat back but I always felt that we could step it up if need be, and we did. Their defence was shambolic at times, defending on the halfway line against pace, we were always gonna have chances. Had we played with the same intensity throughout it could've been a cricket score as we were that much better than Droylsden. Ricky going off didn't help as we had to regroup but to be fair we made light work of it. Decent crowd too, a tad over 300, let's just hope we now get a kind draw tomorrow aged also take the win into Tuesday's have with Whitby.

Doctor Jimmy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 17/9/2017, 14:34

If Hannu Tam had indeed scored a third then I do believe it would have been a rout and their heads would have dropped. The midfield lost its shape in the second half and went further back. Melle Meulensteen looks a bit easy-ozey {to quote a Hoddle phrase} to me and perhaps could mix it a bit more. He's only young I suppose and still trying to get used to our system and players but with Charlie kicking his heels on the bench and Billy due back, it could be interesting. I also think we could have found a gem in Josh Powell and if he isn't already on contract he should be before bigger clubs come circling. Another interesting issue once Cheetham is fit.

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 17/9/2017, 15:51

All valid points & with which I agree. It wasn't so much that we missed Melle when he went off, my point was more that playing 5 at the back seemed to make us drop deeper
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 17/9/2017, 17:57

Who are the lowest ranked team left in the competition? I eant them at home i Monday's draw please.
Buy Rod Stewart a drink & get him on the job :-)))
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 17/9/2017, 20:46

Anyone but South Shields I reckon.... 3-0 AT Darlo...bloody hell !!

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Jimmy on 18/9/2017, 15:01

Shaw Lane away on the weekend of the 30th September I think. Its the day we are down to play Buxton at home. We've done em once though, convincingly at that, so why not again. Tough draw all the same however. ICOYDB.

Doctor Jimmy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alasher on 18/9/2017, 16:18

I wasn't over impressed with them when they came to our place. Winnable but still a tough draw
alasher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum