Alty

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Alty

Post by Tobycarvery on 25/10/2017, 15:07

Wasn't at the game last night so can't comment on the performance, but some things occur to me after the recent games.
1. We no longer seem to have the solid defensive base, as evidenced by conceding 8 in our last two games, the first against a team in the bottom four. Is playing five at the back and one up front working?
2. Having now played four of the top five (two of them twice) we should have a good idea of the level we're at. We are well short of the standard required to be in the playoffs. Maybe a mid-table position and a decent cup run will be the best we can hope for.
3. Is it time for Josh Powell to be rested? He's had some cracking performances but seems to have lost some confidence recently. Is Chris Cheetham fit again?
4. Am I being too pessimistic or is the glass half full?

Tobycarvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Alty

Post by LFC-LCFC on 25/10/2017, 15:29

I'll start my very honest assessment by saying Altrincham were the best side we've faced by a mile this season. Better than Warrington, strides above Shaw Lane.

That said, we've only taken 4 points from the last available 15 which is relegation form. There's no point sugar coating it, we have been woeful for weeks now.

We went from "the best football ever played at Giant Axe" (which was true) to getting administration style drubbings week in week out in a short space of time. Yes, there were some good sides in this poor run, maybe Halesowen was a blip in between getting genuinely outplayed?

We played 4-4-1-1 (with Killer up top) and it worked. We had width, we looked dangerous for about half an hour, and we defended okay. Once they scored they battered us. It wasn't fun to be there, really. Simon Wills returned and was superb and Sam Bailey was again one of our best players before again being subbed.

Kilifin worked tirelessly up front with what little support he had, but he at least held the ball up and ran his socks off. That's all we fucking ask at the end of the day. Effort. No City player will ever get grief so long as they put 100% in. Yeah it was a shit game, you'll see the highlights.

Mossley away has to be 4-4-2 with two strikers. If we go back to a back 5 against one of the lowest scoring teams in the league below I'll go home.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 25/10/2017, 16:04

Hmm. Just seen the goals on Alty TV. Defence looks all over the place. Why was Hibbert preferred to Ricky Mercer, has he a knock ? We're missing Glenn and Gav as well. Also Melle Meulensteen scores two on Saturday and gets left out while Billy Akrigg plays with hardly any game time. Still Browny's the man in charge not me. I can't stand this one up top either BTW.

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 25/10/2017, 17:35

I wasn't at Alty last night either, I'm afraid I'm not a fan of 5 at the back and we've been doing that too much for me although ironically last night would have been one of those occasions I could have understood it.
I've just been going through the starting elevens for all our games this season and, other than the cup match at Kendal for which I don't have the team as yet, I can't see two games where we started the same eleven. Obviously injuries and availability are players in this area but excluding the Kendal game that is 19 games and chopping and changing game on game surely doesn't help the players.
One final thought, Sam Bailey is surely one of our better players and yet he has only started 8 of the 19 games, I can't believe he's happy with that especially when he is often the first substitution in the games he starts - how long do we think he will stay on that basis?

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 25/10/2017, 18:41

How dya think his brother feels ?

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrimpsmakemeill on 25/10/2017, 20:25

I find two of the signings strange. Over the first couple of months of the season the centre backs have been a combination of Mercer, Steel, Clark and Westwood. Ben Hudson has also filled in there very capably. So why sign two more, in the shape of Williams and Hibbert, (who I believe played in the back four at Sutton Coldfield)? If anything we need more firepower up front.

Shrimpsmakemeill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by distantmusic on 25/10/2017, 22:24

On the Charlie Bailey issue as a point of information he started 3 out of 19 - I don't think it helps that they seem to operate as a duo where clubs are concerned but having said that when you sign them you, and they, surely know what the score is - I have to admit that I left Charlie out of the posting deliberately to see if it drew a response - thanks.

distantmusic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobycarvery on 25/10/2017, 22:45

If you add Henry,Dugdale and Sumner to all the central defenders that makes 10 defenders in total,yet there are few games where we have played two up front. I'd agree we need to concentrate more on scoring and less on defending. If we were to impose ourselves on the opposition rather than allow them to come at us, I'm sure we would make more progress. Being difficult to beat is all very well but 13 goals conceded in three away games tells a different story.

Tobycarvery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrows left peg on 26/10/2017, 05:11

I think all Sam and Charlie ask is a run in the side to prove their worth. Bar Cheetham, who got injured, all the other new signings have got that. Wood has failed IMO, Harries is hit and miss, often no end product at times, Dugdale is a class act and is versatile so it's only fair the Baileys need a run of games. When Sam does get a game he's usually first to get the hook. I believe Charlie's best position is the No.10 role, so play him in it. If he fails miserably after a few games, then I for one will hold my hand up and say he's not good enough. I know he is though.

sparrows left peg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum