Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
alasher
alasher

default Best keeper in the world

21/3/2014, 17:59
...or at least that has played for Lancaster City!

I posted a few other possibles on the "where are they now" thread but I have to reiterate my selection of Mark Thornley as the best keeper I have seen filling a City shirt.

............discuss
Brocker

default Re: Best keeper in the world

21/3/2014, 18:06
Wolfie certainly rates among the all time greats. I never saw Glen Johnston(e) but I would put in a claim for Brian Newman and Ken Udall alongside the above named and Fearon-Fearon.
janb
janb
http://twitter.com/janlbuxton

21/3/2014, 18:44
I should note I was making reference to the chant when referring to Fearon as the best of all time in the other thread. As a far more junior dolly he is the best I've seen though - I only saw Wolfie in his twilight years. Hale to be fair has done a solid job too.

21/3/2014, 21:49
Agree with Brocker as regards Brian Newman and also thought Stuart Murdoch was a good keeper. More recently Martin Fearon
CarefulWithThatAxe

21/3/2014, 21:55
In Fearon's favour - he made fewer silly mistakes - I have some terrible memories of Wolfie charging recklessly out of his area. In Wolfie's favour - he dominated his area better, and he also played for us at a higher level than Fearon. Both made a lot of great saves. I'd be happy to sit on the fence and call them equal best. Of all time. Ever.
Shrimpsmakemeill

21/3/2014, 21:56
I believe when he played for us that Stuart Murdoch was a schoolteacher in the Blackpool/Fleetwood area. Many years later (maybe about 7 or 8 years ago), he was manager of Wimbledon. A strange career move!

Glen Johnstone went on to play league football with PNE, but I think he was beset with injury problems. Maybe the maclad remembers him??
janb
janb
http://twitter.com/janlbuxton

21/3/2014, 22:03
Stuart Murdoch worked with Glenn Roeder at Watford, then was goalkeeping coach at Wimbledon, before becoming manager at Franchise FC.
http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/sport/murdoch-misses-out-on-reunion-1-1177506

21/3/2014, 22:14
John Beck signed Glen at Deepdale where the LEP awarded him several MOTM accolades during his brief career. He suffered the injury that ended his professional career on a preseason visit to sn srmy sssault course
South of the river

21/3/2014, 22:45
alasher wrote:John Beck signed Glen at Deepdale where the LEP awarded him several MOTM accolades during his brief career. He suffered the injury that ended his professional career on a preseason visit to sn srmy sssault course

I have heard that health and safety is an issue when you visit sn srmy sssault course.

sparrows left peg

22/3/2014, 03:54
Does anybody not remember Willie Houldsworth ? He was a superb keeper for City. Or Gary Hudson for that matter.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum